Updated for 2021
Check out our most recent reviews at-a-glance, updated for the new season
Makeup has evolved. The wide array of products together with several makeup techniques to keep face oil-free, make skin look younger, and improve overall appearance. Know the basics and answer the question, “Is airbrush makeup better than the traditional ones?“
What Is a Traditional Makeup?The traditional makeup technique gives you a thicker consistency. It uses cream, liquid, and powdered foundations applied through makeup tools such as fiber brushes, sponges, or foundation brushes. The application of the makeup using brushes can be time-consuming depending on the skill level of the makeup artist. Nevertheless, most women prefer the traditional method due to its wide variations and options. There are numerous formulations and shades available depending on your skin type. It also offers light to full coverage depending on your needs and preferences.
- Easier application using a brush or tip of fingers
- Lasts up to 12 hours
- Less expensive
- Hard to conceal pimple marks and scars
- Feels heavy on the skin
- Occasional retouch is necessary
- Prone to skin infection
What Is an Airbrush Makeup?The airbrush makeup technique offers a much thinner foundation due to its specially formulated silicon or water-based foundation. It is applied using an airbrush gun and a makeup air compressor.This method is applied in thin layers to the skin giving an even and smooth finished look. A flawless finish can be achieved through the finely misted spray giving a more even skin tone without worrying on weighing the skin down.
- Can last all day
- Minimal and flawless finish
- Easy layering
- Can be flaky
- Difficulty in reblending
- Limited shade and color options
- More expensive
Is Airbrush Makeup Better than Traditional Makeup?Making the best choice of makeup to use becomes a lot easier if you know the basics. Both traditional and airbrush makeup comes with their challenges during application. Ultimately, the decision comes down to your personal needs and preferences.
- Both traditional and airbrush makeup can last all day. Primers and setting powders can be used in conjunction with a traditional method so that it can last as long as airbrush.
- Airbrush can cover but cannot hide the unwanted marks in your skin. The traditional method provides fuller coverage that focuses greatly on eliminating the imperfections of your skin.
- Hydrated and moisturized skin types are perfect for airbrush makeup. Dry skin is recommended to use the traditional technique to prevent flaking or caking.
- Traditional makeups come with more color options as compared to airbrush. Check the available shades and see if it matches your skin tone.
- Airbrush is much more expensive than traditional makeup. Consider your budget without compromising your looks.
- Airbrush is lightweight and suits all temperature including rainy and sunny weather. Traditional makeup can also withstand extreme rain and heat but with the aid of a primer or a sealer to ensure lasting effects.