Ever wondered how to use airbrush makeup? For the longest time, airbrush makeup secrets were held close to the heart by only a handful of makeup artists. Thankfully, times have changed.
There has been a sudden rise in HD images and videos and it has made life more difficult as it can magnify a picture about six times. This means if there is a flaw with your makeup, it will be easily visible. This is why airbrush makeup has gained such popularity.
It is a known fact that using airbrush makeup as a blending tool will provide you with a uniform result that no one can achieve by hand. If you are looking to join this bandwagon too, then you are in luck. This article will talk at length about the right way to use airbrush makeup.
What Is Airbrush Makeup?
Airbrush makeup is basically a new technique of applying makeup on to the skin by using an airbrush system rather than the traditional method of using your fingers, brushes, or sponges. If you have ever had a spray tan done to yourself, then this process is quite similar to it.
The only difference is that it is on a smaller scale as it is done mostly to the face. That said, it can be used all over the body as well.
The coverage from airbrush makeup can range from anything between sheer to full as this is built up in layers. This ensures you get the perfect look every single time. This type of makeup is used widely by professional makeup artists for photo shoots as it looks phenomenal on camera.
You will often find professional makeup artists opting for airbrush makeup for events like proms and weddings. That is because, in addition to looking great in pictures, this makeup looks natural and beautiful in person. This can be adapted to each person by blending products and building coverage to find the exact perfect match.
Today, airbrush makeup is getting more and more common and is not just restricted to special events. This is becoming a great option for everyday makeup as it is very lightweight, applies quickly, and the final result looks flawless and natural. Furthermore, with the right brand of makeup, the product will last on your face all day long.
How to Use Airbrush Makeup
Before you begin airbrush makeup, ensure that you have an airbrush kit that consists of a fine airbrush, air compressor, and the makeup for the airbrush. Below are a few basic pointers that you need to remember always.
- Even though you can do airbrush makeup on your own, it is best done when someone else is doing it. This is so that you can cut down or avoid altogether any chances of the airbrush makeup from entering your eyes. So, if possible, ask someone to assist you.
- Doing airbrush makeup is a different process in comparison to traditional makeup. Ensure that you thoroughly go through the manuals that come with the airbrush for proper knowledge of the equipment.
- Always prep your face with primer, to begin with. Prepping with primer will give you a poreless finish that will diffuse the imperfections on your face, such as acne scars, blemishes, and discoloration. It will help the skin look shiny and will help in the makeup lasting longer throughout the day
- Remember that this makeup can be layered without any issues. But for you to do this, you will have to let the first layer dry properly before applying the next layer.
- It is a known fact that correcting traditional makeup is quite easy. This, however, isn’t the case with airbrush makeup. Make sure that you are using only bits of the makeup every time so that you do not need to over apply. This is important for highlights and blushes.
- We would recommend practicing on a piece of paper to get a better idea of the best way you can apply to your skin. Additionally, practice mixing different shades as that will help you create some of the best looks.
- To apply your airbrush makeup in the best way possible, you should apply it from a distance of about six inches from your face. Make sure you are using small bursts of it on the selected areas so that you get better control. Once you have done this over and over, you will find it easier to do layers and also, use regular bursts for a faster finish.
- When applying the airbrush makeup, it is better to either do it in a forward-backward motion or in a circular motion.
- You also need to select the kind of makeup you would use. There are different types of formulas available. These include silicone-based makeup, alcohol-based makeup, polymer-water based, and water-based makeup. Each of them has its own set of pros and cons. Select one on the basis of your preference and skin type.
- If you are unsure which brand of makeup and airbrush to settle for, it is best you take suggestions from a reputed makeup artist.
More Helpful Tips
There are hidden secret tips that will further help you with airbrush makeup, including:
- The pressure on the airbrush controls how far the makeup will project from the airbrush gun. If the pressure is high, that means it will cover a larger surface area; thus, saving up on time.
- Always remember never to mix up different makeup formulas. For example, mixing alcohol-based makeup and silicone-based makeup will not dry at the same time.
- In order to avoid wastage, it is better that you train yourself in measurements.
- Always ease up and do not press down the nozzle on the airbrush gun completely.
Knowing how to use airbrush makeup is not a difficult task. All you need is some practice and you will most definitely master it.
We can say this with certainty that once you choose to do airbrush makeup, you can never go back to traditional makeup. With airbrush makeup, you are guaranteed to get a flawless, even-looking, natural look that will last all day long.